MAJOR ELISHA K. HENSON
(formerly JOHN F. NASH)
The H. Lee White Marine Museum and the Port of Oswego Authority are proud to exhibit the US Army Tug, LT-5, a National Historic Landmark.
This 115 ft. ocean-going tug was built in 1943 at the Jackobson Shipyard in Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York, specifically to serve during World War II. While working to supply Army troops with supplies and ammunition during the Normandy Invasion, the fleet was attacked by German fighter planes. According to her logs, one of the gunners shot down an enemy plane using one of the two 50-calibur machine-guns mounted to her upper deck.
This brave act made it possible, along with her status as one of the last remaining operational US Army Transport vessels of her type left from World War II, for the LT-5 to receive her status as a National Historic Landmark.
Like many vessels this tug has two histories. After World War II she returned to the United States. The LT-5 served as a Great Lakes tug for the US Army Corps of Engineers for over 44 years under the name, John F. NASH.
The LT-5 was retired in 1988 by the Corps and acquired by the Port of Oswego Authority in 1991. The H. Lee White Marine Museum oversees the exhibition and operation of the LT-5. Since 1991, a volunteer crew of eight has worked to restore and maintain this vessel whose operation continues to rely on mostly 1942
technology. Her operational status allows the LT-5 to visit other ports along Lake Ontario. The LT-5 is usually berthed on the west pier in Oswego's Historic Maritime District where she is available for viewing as part of the H. Lee White Marine Museum Complex.
The LT-5 is open for viewing during regular Museum hours weather permitting unless visiting another port.