The H. Lee White Marine Museum was founded thirty years ago by Mrs. Rosemary Nesbitt under the auspices of the Port of Oswego Authority. Located in Oswego's Historic Maritime District, the main building, an original canal terminus, served as the offices and repair shop for the nearby grain elevator.
Today the Museum is growing and changing. Open all year long with new exhibits installed each year, it offers a variety of activities, programs and events for visitors and area residents of all ages.
In addition to maintaining a National Historic Landmark WWII tug, LT-5, Permanent exhibits and artwork, housed in the main building, highlight the diverse range of maritime history surrounding the life of the Oswego Harbor. a 1925 Canal Barge, New York State Derrick Boat 8, and the Eleanor D, the last remaining U.S. commercial fishing boat to work Lake Ontario, the Museum and Port of Oswego Authority welcome the 1938 National Register canal tug, Chancellor and the return of the Schooner OMF Ontario to Oswego Harbor this summer.